Monday, May 10, 2010

"Unlucky people are stuck in routines. When they see something new, they want no part of it. Lucky people always want something new. They're prepared to take risks and relaxed enough to see the opportunities in the first place." Richard Wiseman, "How to Make Your Own Luck"

It's been almost one year since I first joined the ranks of the unemployed. When my job was "eliminated" (the carefully contrived, thinly disguised, excuse to oust me by a bullying boss of the worst kind; the crazy kind) my first reaction was one of panic - no salary, no health benefits, no 401K, no Cream de La Mer anymore. But then the panic slowly abated as the realization hit me - no more long commute, no dysfunctional coworkers, no 9-5 grind in corporate hell - and made me think that maybe, just maybe, I could somehow make lemonade out of this grove-full of lemons handed to me.

And so I began to make up for time lost. In between job hunting I spent more time with my family, I reconnected with friends, I exercised, I read more, I enrolled in some classes, I began Chasing Hubert, and, in general, I started living again. Now, with a new career on the horizon, I look back and recognize that I should have been bold enough to make the change on my own and sooner rather than allowing myself to remain stuck in a rut.

Although it's been a challenging year it's also been an enlightening one. I haven't learned who Hubert is yet but I have learned some pretty worthwhile lessons - the following is my top ten list of wisdom I've divined during my year of living freely, frugally, and fearlessly.

1- Change is inevitable so embrace change, don't fear it. Without change life would resemble the movie "Groundhog Day". Boring people get stuck in routines.
2 - Never lose your sense of humor, you can always find something to laugh about. Sometimes you just have to look a little harder to find it.
3 - You really can survive without the expensive shoes, the designer duds, the fancy car. Stuff doesn't make you happy, experiences do.
4 - Exercising is a great way to avoid the doctor when you lack health benefits and it's also a great way to get your aggressions out without getting into trouble.
5 - No matter how bad things seem they always look better in the morning so hang in there because things will change (see #1).
6 - It's never too late to re-invent yourself. Grandma Moses didn't start painting until she was in her 80s.
7 - Don't let your job define you. Don't get so caught up in your career that you forget the other ingredients in your life.
8 - Live in the moment. Life is short so worrying about what's down the road keeps you from enjoying today.
9 - Money and jobs can disappear but true friends don't leave when the chips are down.
10 - Never lose sight of what's important to you and never give up!

3 comments:

  1. 11. Never let rejection get you down, there will always be more opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What words of wisdom!!!!! Very though provoking and enlightening. I, like most, realize a lot of the points you made but are STILL afraid to make that change! Your words are inspiring and comforting.

    These words are the makings of a book. This year of learning must be turned into a book along the lines of Eat, Pray, Love. How about: Laid off, Discovery, Happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great point, Basim (especially after the latest rejection or non-response from my bouquiniste angle of Chasing Hubert) - I welcome additions to the list!

    Thanks, Frank1009! Don't doubt yourself, you can make that change. Never settle!!

    ReplyDelete