Sunday, November 22, 2009

2012

I've been dreading 2012 since Y2K. I remember ringing in the New Year in 2000 cloistered in a cabin armed with my husband's idea of the ultimate survival kit - 50 lbs of flour (but no yeast), cases of Dinty Moore Beef Stew (I'm a vegetarian), enough bottled water to fill a pond, and an abundance of aspirin in anticipation of his ensuing headache brought on by being the only male in the presence of a wife and four daughters all suffering from a severe case of cabin fever.

Y2K came and went without incident (except that of my husband using a chain saw to dismantle our new satellite dish after one too many fights amongst the kiddies over possession of the TV remote) but thoughts of the Mayan's catastrophic prediction for 2012 took its place. Will December 21, 2012 be doomsday or just another day? I don't know but I'll read up on it and prepare - just in case. I even gave my my carpool buddy The Worst Case Scenerio Daily Survival Calendar last year for Christmas. Which, in retrospect, was probably not a bad idea considering his break-the-sound-barrier bursts of speed during our commute that left me picking bits of Starbucks healthy breakfast sandwich out of my hair and Zen green tea out of my lap.
Chronic worrywart that I am it was probably not in my best interest to see the movie 2012. However, plagued by recurring nightmares of tidal waves since I was a child, morbid curiousity got the better of me and I just couldn't stay away. The movie evoked the expected fears of impending disaster but it also brought a new worry to mind - that the end of the world will arrive without my discovering the identity of Hubert. Knowing that I might only have 1,125 days in which to find Hubert convinced me that I need to pick up the pace of my chase. As any good survivalist knows the key is to stay informed and have a plan. Till now, my efforts to find Hubert have been capricious but currently I am in the process of formulating a winning game plan. Because as another artist - Pablo Picasso - knowingly once said "Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervantly believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success." With his words in mind I set to work on my Chasing Hubert Preparedness Plan....

No comments:

Post a Comment