Friday, November 13, 2009

"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything." Vincent van Gogh

Hubert may be my current obsession but as a child I was a bonafide bookworm. If a  book wasn't handy I would read the back of a cereal box. One of my most memorable childhood reads was "The Diary of a Young Girl" by Anne Frank. Her quote "In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart" remains etched in my mind (no pun intended) because 1) it's so inspirational and 2) it's so far removed from my own philosophy. I believe people intrinsically suck. I'm not including all of the human race in my theory but if mankind were represented in a pie chart then a Weight Watchers slice would represent all that is good. A pessimistic view, for sure, but expect less and you're pleasantly surprised, expect the most and you're consistently disappointed.

Since going public with my search for Hubert my faith in people has been somewhat restored. I have received suggestions, support, advice and encouragement in my quest to discover the identity of this obscure artist. Some of this even coming from perfect strangers.  One in particular signs off with the simple word "courage" which gives me just that when things look bleak. I've attained the dubious distinction of the world's foremost collector of ......... someone?

To all my fellow Hubert collectors/admirers out there please feel free to to post your comments/ advice/suggestions because the more people that get involved the greater the number of clues, the more information gleaned and the greater chance we can crack this case. More importantly, if Hubert's art can have such a positive effect on me, a reformed misanthrope, imagine what good it could do for the rest of the population! Courage....

No comments:

Post a Comment